Claymont is a census-designated place (CDP) in New Castle County, Delaware, United States. The population was 8,253 at the 2010 census.
Claymont has been a continuous settlement near the mouth of Naamans Creek on the Delaware River since at least A.D. 1200, with evidence of its original inhabitants along both banks pointing to the Middle Woodland period (1100-1600 B.C.). The first western inhabitants named the creek and settlement after the Lenape chief who occupied the region. The area developed from a primarily agricultural community in the mid-19th century into a suburban resort area for wealthy Philadelphia families, and in the early 20th century into an industrial working community.
During the colonial period, the town served as a stop along the King's Highway, and with its location at the confluence of Interstate 95, Interstate 495, Governor Printz Boulevard and Philadelphia Pike, has long been a thoroughfare for travel between Philadelphia (20 miles to the north) and Washington, D.C. (100 miles to the south).
Claymont was so-named in 1856 upon the efforts of the wife of Reverend Clemson, pastor of the Episcopal church, after they had relocated from their family plantation, Claymont Court, in Charles Town, West Virginia.
Since 1993, several major revitalization efforts have been completed, including renovations of historical sites such as the Claymont Stone School, the Darley House and the Robinson House. The Claymont Renaissance Development Corporation, a nonprofit organization working to stimulate economic growth and residential improvement in Claymont, received a Sustainable Communities Award from the National Association of Counties. In what has been called "the single largest redevelopment project in Brandywine Hundred in the last 40 years", the 633-unit, 66-acre (270,000 m2) community of Brookview was razed beginning in 2007 to make way for Renaissance Village. In addition to the Claymont Stone School, the Darley House and the Robinson House, the Archmere Academy, Hickman Row, and Ivyside Farm are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Claymont is located at 39°47'58?N 75°27'53?W (39.799512, -75.464699), in northeastern Brandywine Hundred, on the ridge line between the coastal floodplain of the Delaware River and the upland piedmont area of northwestern New Castle County.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 2.1 square miles (5.4 km2), all of it land. The area generally considered to be Claymont encompasses the entire 19703 ZIP code, which is bounded by the Pennsylvania border to the north, the Delaware River to the east, the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad line to the west, and Perkins Run to the south.
The ZIP Code Tabulation Area for 19703 includes communities such as Ashbourne Hills, the Greentree section, the Society Hill Section, and parts of Rolling Park, which are not included in Claymont CDP, and had a population of 15,312 at the 2000 census.
Places of interest
Claymont is home to several historic places, including the Claymont Stone School (which may have been the state's first racially integrated public school), Archmere Academy (in the former home of industrialist John J. Raskob), the Darley House (former home of illustrator F. O. C. Darley), and the Robinson House (with a Block House believed to be the only structure remaining of the original Naaman's Creek settlement). It is also the headquarters of several prominent businesses, including Evraz Claymont Steel and CIGNA International Expatriate Benefits. Fortune 500 metals and mining giant, Minmetals, has a presence in Claymont as the owners of the Holiday Inn Select Hotel on Naamans Rd.